Friday, January 1, 2016

2016 is HERE! The Year of Fit Starts NOW!

It's January 1st...what are you doing to prioritize YOUR health today?

As I sit here in Rocky Point, Mexico, overlooking the sea of Cortez, it gives me opportunity to reflect and find peace. Boy is it beautiful. It is also my final days off before I go back to work, so having a plan is essential. It's time to map out more morning, and next week...

The last blog post detailed the key meals I planned on focusing. A note on that--You may have asked "why didn't you include calorie counts or a detailed list of ingredients/amounts? My diet is my diet...I do what I need to help myself. You are going to have slightly different needs, and you want to make sure you are enjoying the food you eat as much as possible. Granted, feel free to model your meals after mine.

My last deluxe dinner was garlic mashed potatoes (potatoes, garlic, butter, salt, water), salmon (poked with spears of garlic while cooking) w/ teriyaki, and sauteed bok choy. I cook as lean as possible, but use plenty of spices to make up for flavor in place of extra fat. I only used a tablespoon of butter in my mashed potatoes, and only even went that far because I no longer eat dairy and couldn't put milk in. I am NOT saying to cut out fat...in fact, that's the last thing you want to do, but it does add a lot of calories simply because 1 gram of fat is 9 calories, while carbs and protein are only 4 calories a gram. Refer back to former posts for a few examples of my meal plans. The key here, that is so powerful, is that you need to be doing these YOURSELF. Awareness is everything. And keep tracking your food!

Back to my plan...Meals are roughly sketched out. It's more important to plan out the types of workouts I want to have so I can accomplish this. Instead of saying "Monday is this...Tuesday is this..." I like to create a list of the workouts I want accomplished by the end of the week, and allow myself the flexibility to choose the one I want each day, as unexpected situations may arise and I may not feel like doing arms after moving 40 jumbo desks in my classroom.

A rough sketch looks something like this:
3-5 days of core/abs
3 days of arms/shoulders/back
2 days of legs
3 running days

These will all take place on a total of 5 workout days, so I will cut and paste as I feel. For example, legs with running one day, but upper body with running another. Of course, for each day, I have a series of workouts that I typically do. I will further discuss them as we go along, but for now here are a couple of them:


Upper Body Workout Day
3 x 12Bicep Curl
3 x 12Tricep overarm bend
3 x 12Hammer curl
3 x 12Tricep kickback
3 x 12Bent Over Row (10-15lb weight)
3 x 12Shoulder press (5-10 lb weight)
3 x 12Shoulder rotation (5-10 lb weight)
30Rear back lift (5 lb dumbbell)
3 x 12 each sideSide arm lifts (3-5lb weights)


Lower Body Workout Day
3 x 12Squats - shoulder width
3 x 12Hamstring - Deadlift
10 ea sideLunges
Hold for 15 pulses, each sidePulse lunges
15Squats - sumo style

Leg lift circuit



Total Body Workout Day

Shoulder Width Squats

Narrow Squats

Sumo Squats

Biceps + Triceps

Shoulder Press, Shoulder inversion
3 x 12Dead lifts w/ bent over row
3 x 15Upright row (5-10 lb weight)
30 each directionCalf Press

Commit by taking 15 minutes and planning out the list of workouts you plan to accomplish. Also include the time you plan on accomplishing them, and the last case scenario time. For me, I plan on doing short workouts in the morning before work, but if that doesn't work, and I don't get to the gym, I will do a workout at about 6 pm on my yoga mat in my living room. PS....if you don't feel the burn, you may need to step it up a notch. Beneficial workouts are often uncomfortable-- if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you. I recommend consulting Pinterest for a few workout ideas, or blogilates. If you sign up for the free newsletter, you receive access to monthly workout plans. These are services I can provide for a fee ($8/week each for workouts OR meals, $15 for both), but I don't deny free is better for some of you. The benefit with paying, is it will be more designed specifically to you and your needs.

Today's workout plan for me is as follows:
1 mile run on the beach (sand will really kick it up a notch)
Lower body circuit - 3 series squats, lunges with weights, thigh circuit, bridges, donkey kicks
Abs circuit - 5 minute plank series (get's some arm workout in there), flutter kicks, holds, russian twists, bicycles, v-ups
Biceps - 10-15 lb dumbbells, bicep curls - 3x15.

I just had my cup of coffee, I believe I will take an hour to get some work done, and enjoy the beautiful morning sunrise, and then off to the beach! ....don't get too jealous, it's only 65 here. Brrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment